Korea Digital TV News
Large-area FPD panel availability set to tighten significantly in 2021
May 11, 2020 – According to Omdia, the coronavirus crisis is impacting FPD demand and creating uncertainty. Challenged to maintain profitability in this environment, Korean suppliers have accelerated plans to completely exit LCD TV panel production in Korea in 2020.
News categories: Omdia, Charles Annis, COVID-19, Digital TV, Korea, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
SVOD and T-VOD drive Korean market to new levels
Apr 6, 2020 – According to Futuresource, 'Super Premium VOD' continues to propel South Korea to be one of the leading transactional VOD markets in the world. The offering allows Korean customers to rent film titles as early as 4 weeks post cinema release.
News categories: Futuresource, Tristan Veale, Digital TV, Korea, Market Research, OTT
TV panel shipments decreased 3.5% M-o-M in February
Mar 24, 2020 – According to TrendForce, monthly TV panel shipments decreased by 3.5% MoM in February, reaching 20.073 million units. The COVID-19 pandemic’s effect on labor, logistics, and material supply remains a gradual process.
News categories: TrendForce, China, COVID-19, Digital TV, Korea, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Asia Pacific to add 45 million pay TV subscribers over next 5 years
Mar 23, 2020 – According to Digital TV Research, the Asia Pacific pay TV sector is the most vibrant in the world, with the number of subscribers expected to grow by 45 million over the next five years while revenues increase by $1.40 billion.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Asia, China, Digital TV, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Market Research
IPTV service revenue in Korea to grow at a CAGR of 4.4% to 2024
Jan 14, 2020 – South Korea’s IPTV revenue is set to grow at a CAGR of 4.4% for the period 2019-2024, according to GlobalData. The country's IPTV service revenue is expected to reach US$3.8bn with a subscriber base of 19.26 million in 2024.
News categories: GlobalData, Akash Jatwala, Digital TV, IPTV, Korea, Market Research, Subscribers
Humax supplying Android TV UHD STBs to T-Broad
Jan 2, 2020 – Humax has announced that it is supplying UHD set-top boxes based on Android TV to T-Broad, South Korea’s largest cable TV operator. The box is an IP hybrid model supporting DOCSIS 3.0 and includes middleware and CA for cable broadcasting.
News categories: Humax, T-Broad, Jeff Kim, Android TV, Cable TV, Digital TV, Korea, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
Pay-TV revenues in S. Korea to grow at a CAGR of 0.7% over 2019-2024
Dec 30, 2019 – Total telecom and pay-TV services revenue in South Korea is expected to decline at a CAGR of 0.3% between 2019 and 2024. Growth in mobile data, fixed broadband and pay-TV segments’ revenues will fail to offset other declines according to GlobalData.
News categories: GlobalData, Deepa Dhingra, Digital TV, Korea, Market Research
ATEME powers VOD OTT and IPTV for Medialog
Dec 18, 2019 – ATEME has announced that Medialog, a subsidiary of LG U+, has implemented ATEME’s TITAN File solution for its VOD OTT and IPTV services. ATEME’s TITAN File is a multi-codec/multi-format file-based transcoder producing content for multiscreen delivery.
News categories: ATEME, Medialog, Boyang An, Tae Dong Lee, Content Distribution, Digital TV, IPTV, Korea, OTT
CJ Hello deploys ATEME transcoding solution
Dec 5, 2019 – CJ Hello has deployed ATEME's TITAN Live MPEG-2 HD transcoding solution for delivery of video services. TITAN Live is a hardware agnostic, real-time multi-channel/format solution designed for processing SD, HD and Ultra HD content for any screen.
News categories: ATEME, CJ Hello, Boyang An, Kim Hongik, Cable TV, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Korea
- NEXTGEN TV begins broadcasting in Baltimore
- Zodiac integrates Agama device monitoring into its TV stack
- JW Player raises $100m in Series E funding
- Xandr adopts OpenAP's OpenID audience identifier
- ATEME provides video packaging and storage for AIS in Thailand
- KKStream launches Streaming-as-a-Service solutions
- Astro set-top boxes to include Netflix
- MediaKind powers UEFA Euro 2020 live coverage at MEO
- NAB shows home learning via ATSC 3.0 for students without internet
- U.S. consumers feeling pain of streaming service fragmentation
- Telefonica backs up Movistar+ infrastructure in the cloud with Harmonic
- Irdeto and INVIDI offer integrated addressable TV solution
- UEI providing Android TV remotes to Claro Colombia
- Tubi supports Unified ID 2.0 initiative
- Portugal adds 29,000 pay TV subscribers in 1Q 2021
- 'Go Addressable' TV advertising initiative launched in the U.S.
- Brightcove and ByteArk partner on OTT technology in Thailand
- ATEME powers converged headend at TCCL in India
- NexPlayer joins AWS for Media & Entertainment initiative
- VuClip integrates Bitmovin video encoder on Google Cloud