Digital TV News: Liberty Global
Eros Now integrated with Virgin TV connected boxes
Feb 28, 2019 – Eros Now (NYSE:EROS) has announced an integration deal with Virgin Media in the United Kingdom. The premium Indian OTT app will be available on Virgin TV connected boxes as part of its 'Desi Pack' with effect from February 28, 2019.
News categories: Eros Now, Virgin Media, Rishika Lulla Singh, David Bouchier, Apps, Cable TV, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, UK
Liberty Global to sell UPC Switzerland to Sunrise
Feb 27, 2019 – Liberty Global (NASDAQ: LBTYA, LBTYB and LBTYK) has announced that it has agreed to sell its Swiss operation, UPC Switzerland, to Sunrise Communications Group. The transaction will create the leading converged challenger in the market.
News categories: Liberty Global, Sunrise Communications, Mike Fries, Cable TV, Digital TV, MnA, Switzerland
MultiChoice lists on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange
Feb 27, 2019 – MultiChoice Group Limited (MCG) has listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE). The listed MCG includes MultiChoice South Africa (MCSA), MultiChoice Africa Holdings (MAH), Showmax, as well Irdeto, and all their subsidiaries and affiliates.
News categories: MultiChoice, Naspers, Irdeto, Calvo Mawela, Bob van Dijk, Africa, Content Protection, Digital TV, Finance, OTT, Satellite, South Africa, Worldwide
Sunrise discussing possible UPC Schweiz acquisition with Liberty Global
Feb 5, 2019 – Sunrise Communications has noted recent media and market speculation regarding a potential transaction with UPC Schweiz, a subsidiary of Liberty Global. Sunrise confirms it is in discussions regarding a possible acquisition.
News categories: Sunrise Communications, UPC, Liberty Global, Cable TV, Digital TV, MnA, Switzerland
Sky invests in Synamedia
Jan 8, 2019 – Synamedia has announced that Sky has taken a stake in the business, joining majority shareholder the Permira funds. Both Sky and its parent company Comcast are long-time Synamedia customers as well as strategic development partners.
News categories: Synamedia, Sky, Yves Padrines, Andrew Griffith, Content Distribution, Content Protection, Digital TV, Middleware, MnA, Worldwide
Introducing 10G: The next great leap for broadband
Jan 7, 2019 – NCTA, CableLabs and Cable Europe have introduced, at CES, the cable industry’s vision for delivering 10 gigabit networks, or 10G to consumers. To support the rollout, Intel will deliver 10G-ready technology from the network infrastructure to home gateways.
News categories: NCTA, CableLabs, Cable Europe, Intel Corp, Michael Powell, Phil McKinney, Broadband, Cable TV, CES, Digital TV, Semiconductor, USA, Worldwide
Synamedia makes CES debut
Jan 3, 2019 – Synamedia will bring its newest solutions to CES 2019. The company also unveiled security software that combats the rapid rise in account sharing between friends and families, turning it instead into a new revenue-generating opportunity.
News categories: Synamedia, Yves Padrines, CES, Content Distribution, Content Protection, Middleware, Worldwide
M7 to buy Liberty Global's Eastern European DTH operations
Dec 21, 2018 – M7 Group has announced that it has agreed to buy the DTH satellite TV operations of Liberty Global (NASDAQ: LBTYA, LBTYB and LBTYK) currently serving four Eastern European markets (Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Romania).
News categories: M7 Group, Liberty Global, Hans Troelstra, Czech Republic, Digital TV, Hungary, MnA, Romania, Satellite, Slovakia
EU to investigate acquisition by Vodafone of Liberty Global businesses
Dec 11, 2018 – The EU has opened an investigation to assess Vodafone's proposed acquisition of Liberty Global's business in Czechia, Germany, Hungary and Romania. The Commission is concerned the takeover may reduce competition in Germany and Czechia.
News categories: European Commission, Vodafone, Liberty Global, Margrethe Vestager, Cable TV, Czech Republic, Digital TV, EU, Germany, MnA
- ITV and BBC sign agreement to launch BritBox
- Inca ABR transcoder approved for MOBITV CONNECT deployments
- UK CE market forecast to grow 4% in 2019
- Liberty Global Vodafone deal approved by European Commission
- ATEME and Eurovision Services run BISS-CA watermarking trial
- Netflix US streaming subscribers down 126k in 2Q 2019
- Pay-TV Innovation Forum releases sports OTT report
- One million downloads for Sinclair's STIRR app
- Cifra and Flussonic offer integrated IPTV/OTT solution
- Vodafone Portugal enhances the TV user experience
- Mirada to empower pay TV operators with Netflix integration
- DNA sells pay-DTT business to Digita
- Socionext releases 8K-capable live video encoding unit
- Speedcast, In Aria! and Telespazio announce joint service offering
- Operator 5G boosted by strong projections for 5G PCs and tablets
- Block Communications to use Comscore local TV ratings and Advanced Audiences
- 27% of US broadband households engage in some form of piracy or account sharing
- Nielsen's TV ratings platform moves to AWS
- NEC demonstrates live 8K video transmission over 5G in France
- U.S. consumer technology sales to exceed $400bn in 2019