Kenya Digital TV News
AzuriTV offers solar powered PAYG satellite TV package in Kenya
Dec 5, 2016 – Azuri Technologies and Zuku have launched the first integrated PAYG satellite TV offering for rural off-grid consumers in sub Saharan Africa. AzuriTV combines solar home power, TV, satellite dish and Zuku Smart+ entertainment in one complete package.
News categories: Azuri Technologies, Zuku, Simon Bransfield-Garth, Jay Chudasama, Digital TV, Kenya, Satellite, Set Top Box
ShowMax launches mobile video in Kenya
Oct 5, 2016 – ShowMax has launched a two-tier service for watching TV and movies via the internet in Kenya. ShowMax Premium has a range of international and local content. ShowMax Select is a mobile-first product, paid for using M-PESA.
News categories: ShowMax, John Kotsaftis, Digital TV, Kenya, Mobile, OTT
ShowMax expands internet TV service to sub-Saharan Africa
May 13, 2016 – ShowMax has officially launched internet TV services to 36 countries across sub-Saharan Africa. The company originally launched in August 2015 with the largest subscription video on demand catalogue on the continent.
News categories: ShowMax, Barron Ernst, Africa, Botswana, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Congo-Brazzaville, Digital TV, DRC, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mobile, Namibia, OTT, Rwanda, Senegal, Seychelles, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
Kenya issues first Commercial FTA TV licences
Aug 13, 2015 – Kenya's Communications Authority has issued the first Commercial Free-to-Air TV licenses in the aftermath of digital migration. Other broadcast license applications include four for Cable TV, two for IPTV and three for Pay TV.
News categories: Communications Authority, Francis Wangusi, Digital TV, Kenya, Terrestrial
Pay TV in 21% of TV households in East Africa
Jul 31, 2015 – According to research by Dataxis, in the five countries of the East African Community (EAC), DTT had an overall 53% share of pay TV users, followed by DTH with 43% and the remainder on CATV systems in Kenya and Tanzania.
News categories: Dataxis, Burundi, Cable TV, Digital TV, Kenya, Market Research, Rwanda, Satellite, Subscribers, Tanzania, Terrestrial, Uganda
Safaricom launches mobile broadband connected STB
May 8, 2015 – Safaricom (NSE: SCOM) has announced the launch of a hybrid set-top box that will enable subscribers to view TV content and share data connectivity. Known as ‘The BigBox’, the STB allows subscribers to use Safaricom's 3G and 4G data network to access content.
News categories: Safaricom, Bob Collymore, Broadband, Digital TV, Kenya, Mobile, Router, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Terrestrial
Kenya's Safaricom applies for digital broadcasting licence
Mar 5, 2015 – Kenyan telecoms operator, Safaricom, has applied for a digital broadcasting licence in order to be able to offer television along side its other broadband products. The company has also received approval to import set-top boxes for sale in the local market.
News categories: Safaricom, Digital TV, IPTV, Kenya, Regulation, Set Top Box
StarTimes reduces DVB-T2 STB price in Kenya
Feb 23, 2015 – StarTimes Media has effected a 17.5% price drop on the cost of acquiring its DVB-T2 Free-To-Air set top box with the move aimed at making it increasingly affordable for more Kenyans to take up its DTT service.
News categories: StarTimes, Mark Lisboa, Digital TV, DVB-T2, Kenya, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
Kenya launches awareness campaign ahead of December 31st analogue switch off
Dec 22, 2014 – The race to the December 31st analogue switch off for Nairobi and its environs has begun with the launch of a digital migration consumer awareness campaign. The event kicked off a series of road shows, and consumer awareness activities.
News categories: Communications Authority of Kenya, Francis Wangusi, Digital TV, Kenya, Terrestrial
- MediaKind first to deploy latest You.i TV video experience SDK
- TVSquared and Blockgraph partner on TV and cross-channel measurement
- PlayStation 5 launches this November
- BrightLine launches connected TV ad solution
- FIH and NAGRA launch Watch.Hockey app
- Gracenote enables cross-platform search and discovery for sports content
- VR headset market expected to grow despite short-term decline
- Pay TV in Portugal grows 4.1% YoY in 1H 2020
- Liberty Puerto Rico launches Hub TV powered by TiVo
- Verizon Media offers header bidding-like solution for OTT publishers
- Watch Brasil launches SVOD Smart TV app with Accedo
- ViacomCBS global streaming service to be called Paramount+
- TV3 to trial 5G immersive sport at Superbike World Championship
- Finns prefer to watch streaming services on the TV
- Proximus Pickx Android TV service goes live with 3SS
- Disney+ launches in eight more European countries
- Orange delivers 1.75bn multi-DRM licenses with Viaccess-Orca
- Dotscreen renews metadata deal with Red Bee Media
- Broadpeak powers NPVR service for Orange France
- ZEASN announces Smart TV App Store v3.0