Kenya Digital TV News
ShowMax launches mobile video in Kenya
Oct 5, 2016 – ShowMax has launched a two-tier service for watching TV and movies via the internet in Kenya. ShowMax Premium has a range of international and local content. ShowMax Select is a mobile-first product, paid for using M-PESA.
News categories: ShowMax, John Kotsaftis, Digital TV, Kenya, Mobile, OTT
ShowMax expands internet TV service to sub-Saharan Africa
May 13, 2016 – ShowMax has officially launched internet TV services to 36 countries across sub-Saharan Africa. The company originally launched in August 2015 with the largest subscription video on demand catalogue on the continent.
News categories: ShowMax, Barron Ernst, Africa, Botswana, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Congo-Brazzaville, Digital TV, DRC, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mobile, Namibia, OTT, Rwanda, Senegal, Seychelles, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
Kenya issues first Commercial FTA TV licences
Aug 13, 2015 – Kenya's Communications Authority has issued the first Commercial Free-to-Air TV licenses in the aftermath of digital migration. Other broadcast license applications include four for Cable TV, two for IPTV and three for Pay TV.
News categories: Communications Authority, Francis Wangusi, Digital TV, Kenya, Terrestrial
Pay TV in 21% of TV households in East Africa
Jul 31, 2015 – According to research by Dataxis, in the five countries of the East African Community (EAC), DTT had an overall 53% share of pay TV users, followed by DTH with 43% and the remainder on CATV systems in Kenya and Tanzania.
News categories: Dataxis, Burundi, Cable TV, Digital TV, Kenya, Market Research, Rwanda, Satellite, Subscribers, Tanzania, Terrestrial, Uganda
Safaricom launches mobile broadband connected STB
May 8, 2015 – Safaricom (NSE: SCOM) has announced the launch of a hybrid set-top box that will enable subscribers to view TV content and share data connectivity. Known as ‘The BigBox’, the STB allows subscribers to use Safaricom's 3G and 4G data network to access content.
News categories: Safaricom, Bob Collymore, Broadband, Digital TV, Kenya, Mobile, Router, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Terrestrial
Kenya's Safaricom applies for digital broadcasting licence
Mar 5, 2015 – Kenyan telecoms operator, Safaricom, has applied for a digital broadcasting licence in order to be able to offer television along side its other broadband products. The company has also received approval to import set-top boxes for sale in the local market.
News categories: Safaricom, Digital TV, IPTV, Kenya, Regulation, Set Top Box
StarTimes reduces DVB-T2 STB price in Kenya
Feb 23, 2015 – StarTimes Media has effected a 17.5% price drop on the cost of acquiring its DVB-T2 Free-To-Air set top box with the move aimed at making it increasingly affordable for more Kenyans to take up its DTT service.
News categories: StarTimes, Mark Lisboa, Digital TV, DVB-T2, Kenya, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
Kenya launches awareness campaign ahead of December 31st analogue switch off
Dec 22, 2014 – The race to the December 31st analogue switch off for Nairobi and its environs has begun with the launch of a digital migration consumer awareness campaign. The event kicked off a series of road shows, and consumer awareness activities.
News categories: Communications Authority of Kenya, Francis Wangusi, Digital TV, Kenya, Terrestrial
Kenya announces analogue TV switch off dates
Nov 28, 2014 – The Communications Authority of Kenya together with the country's Ministry of Information Communication and Technology have announced dates for the phased switch off of analogue television signals.
News categories: Communications Authority of Kenya, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Kenya, Terrestrial
- NCTC to offer discounted Amazon Fire TV devices to members
- Viu reaches 41.4 million monthly active users
- Roku ends 2019 with 36.9 million active accounts
- Online viewing continues to gain ground on traditional broadcast TV
- Vianeos provides revamped UX for Batelco TV in Bahrain
- VUALTO partners with ATEME for automated encoder integration
- STV selects Arqiva Hybrid TV Service for HD restart feature
- AfricaXP adds DTH capacity from Eutelsat for Sub-Saharan Africa
- Altice USA residential video RGUs down 44k in 4Q 2019
- 'Tapering subscriber acquisitions' for Dish TV India in 4Q 2019
- Movistar Spain launches new voice remote control
- Irdeto confirmed as security partner for Mitele Plus
- Swedish streaming market saturating
- Tubi monthly active users grow to 25 million
- beIN SPORTS strikes partnership with XUMO TV
- Cinedigm’s Viewster app available on Foxxum-supporting devices
- Liberty extends Netflix partnership in Europe
- beIN SPORTS XTRA added to Samsung TV Plus
- Sinclair Broadcast joins Pearl TV broadcast business organization
- WISI ABR transcoding approved for Minerva YourTV Now cloud video